Tuesday, August 11, 2009

E082009

Photobucket

Photobucket

The other night we had a violent thunder storm. I went out the next morning to check on the garden and found the large heavy tomato plants knocked over. Only two of the eight plants were left standing upright. Two of the damaged plants were completely knocked over and I unfortunately had to pull them up. I picked the many remaining still green tomatoes before I completely uprooted them. Hopefully the tomatoes will ripen set out on the picnic table in the sun. I’ll probably pickle and fry some of them while they are still green.

Photobucket

The fallen three grape tomato plants knocked over the red beauties and the Hungarian pepper plants. I cut the tomato plants back to a third of their size and put them back in their cages. With the space that was created I was able to stand the red beauty plant back up, packing dirt around it for extra support around its base. One of the three Hungarian plants was bent beyond repair. I picked all the peppers on the plant and then pulled it up. I pushed the other two plants up and picked most of the peppers to keep them from falling back over under their own weight and then packed more dirt around the base for extra support.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The garden had plenty more to be harvested. One of the giant broccoli plants had a large floret that I cut along with a three inch stem. I cut back the plant a little removing some of the largest leaves. I’m going to leave the plant in the ground, maybe it will grow more florets. Two of the other broccolis have florets of their own that should be ready to harvest sometime this week.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Two of the cauliflowers have florets that should also be ready to harvest sometime this week. The last plant has a small bud that should be ready by the end of this month.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I’m not sure if the cucumbers are done. I haven’t spotted any more cucumbers but I did notice some flowers so hopefully we’ll get one more batch before summer is out.

Photobucket

I think I may have picked the last of the green beans. I’m keeping the plants in the ground in the hopes that we’ll get at least one more harvest before summer is over.

Photobucket

I’ve been busy in the kitchen freezing and drying all that I have harvested. I hope to get some pickling done later this week.

Photobucket

These giant scary bugs were flying around the garden
Photobucket
They almost look like a kind of wasp or hornet. any guesses?

No comments:

Post a Comment