Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Garden E112009

Photobucket

The garden has come to an end. I’ve pulled up the last of the plants and picked what was left of the crops. All that is left is the black berries and raspberries.

Photobucket

I cut back all of the herbs and have been drying them in my basement. For the larger herbs like the sage and pineapple sage I just tied them together in bunches and hung the upside down in a closet. The smaller herbs like rosemary, thyme, and oregano I put in a small electronic dehydrator. Some of the herbs like chamomile, peppermint, and lavender I dried laid out flat in sheets. I ground the dried herbs using a small electric coffee grinder and made a few different spice mixes. I’m saving all the tarragon by itself in a large batch to make tarragon mustard. I used the dried chamomile, mint, pineapple sage, and lavender to make herbal tea.

Now that the weather has gotten much cooler I will be moving the blackberry and current bushes out of the garden patch and along the fence with the two raspberry bushes. I was surprised by how many raspberries we got on such a young bush. Hopefully we have berries until the end of the month. We might start getting frost this weekend though.

Well that’s it for this year’s garden. See you next garden season!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment